During reading of some Japanese Wikipedia articles (e.g. 北上, 重雷装艦) I encountered the compound 雷装{らいそう}, which I have been unable to find a definite explanation of.

In their descriptive texts you will find a lot of mentions of 魚雷{ぎょらい}. However, it seems that they (北上 and related ships) are a different type of torpedo cruiser, since a torpedo cruiser generally gets called 水雷巡洋艦{すいらいじゅんようかん}. The Wikipedia text on 重雷装艦{じゅうらいそうかん} seems to indicate these were remodelled torpedo cruisers into light torpedo cruisers. Did I understand that correctly?

But that still leaves the question open: is 雷装 a synonym for 魚雷, maybe in a similar style how 魚雷 took over from 魚形水雷{ぎょけいすいらい}?

Any additional hints or explanations about etymology very much appreciated.

No, it's not a synonym.

雷装 is short for 魚雷装備 or 雷撃装備, torpedo-attached/rigged/equipped/mounted. According to Wikipedia, Kitakami was originally built as a 軽巡洋艦, light crusing ship (not torpedo cruiser). In August-September 1942, they converted it into 重雷装艦, heavy torpedo-attached ship (removed 3 main guns, rigged with 40 torpedo launcher).

• 地雷 : land mine
  • 水雷 : underwater bomb
  • 機雷 : short for 機械水雷, machine underwater bomb, naval mine
  • 魚雷 : short for 魚形水雷, fish-shaped underwater bomb, torpedo
  • 雷撃 : 攻撃 by using 魚雷 , torpedo attack
  • 装備 : equipment, (act of) equipping or equipped
  • 装備する : to equip, to rig, to mount
  • 雷装 : short for 魚雷装備 or 雷撃装備, torpedo-equipping or torpedo-equipped
  • 爆弾 : bomb
  • 爆撃 : aerial bombing
  • 爆装 : short for 爆撃装備, aerial-bomb-equipping or aerial-bomb-equipped
  • 本当にありがとうございました。It really helps me to put some parts in a proper context. – asmodai Feb 11 '18 at 14:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.