Very often I want to express an idea of "X is implied in Y", e.g.

Is "I" implied in the following sentence?

Google translate tool offers the following:

「私」は次の文で暗示されていますか?

Three-part question:

1. Does Google translation correctly expresses the idea?

2. Is it possible to use the verb 仄めかす in this case?

「私」は次の文で仄めかされていますか?

1. Is there a better way to express "Is X implied in Y"?
  • Have you tried searching the definitions in a J-J dictionary? See dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/205105/meaning/m0u「 それとなく言葉や態度に表して示す。」(="To indirectly display expressions and attitudes.") dictionary.goo.ne.jp/jn/8472/meaning/m0u/%E6%9A%97%E7%A4%BA 「物事を明確には示さず、手がかりを与えてそれとなく知らせること。また、そのような手がかり。」(="Indirectly making things known by giving clues, without clearly showing it. Or such type of clues.").
    – binom
    Feb 11, 2018 at 7:27
  • 「匂{にお}わす」ではどうですか。
    – user20624
    Feb 11, 2018 at 13:04
  • ^ 文法の説明に使う表現を探してると思ったんですけど・・・
    – chocolate
    Feb 15, 2018 at 9:37

1 Answer 1

1. I don't think 「『私』は次の文で暗示されていますか?」 is a very good translation for "Is 'I' implied in the following sentence?".

2. 「『私』は次の文で仄めかされていますか?」 doesn't sound too good to me, either.

3. How about using 「[含意]{がんい}する/される」?

「YにXは含意され(てい)ますか?」 "Is X implied in Y?"
「YはXを含意し(てい)ますか?」 "Does Y imply X?"

Is there a Japanese universal verb for “imply”?

I don't think 含意する would be a universal word for "imply". I just think 含意する would fit your example here.

• I will note that 含意 seems academic, but if I may ask about your examples, why did you make the first sentence pattern causative?
    – BigRigz
    Nov 13, 2023 at 14:31
  • @BigRigz, Sorry, I don't know which sentence you're referring to. 「含意され(てい)ますか」 doesn't contain causative. 含意される is the passive form of 含意する.
    – chocolate
    Nov 14, 2023 at 11:05
  • Oh sorry, I confused する. My point it why not します? YはXを含意します has it, but the other one does not. Does it has something to do with tenses?
    – BigRigz
    Nov 15, 2023 at 13:36
  • @BigRigz, Sorry I still don't know what you mean. As you may know, 含意する/します is a transitive verb, and 含意される/されます is its passive form. 「YはXを含意しますか?」 "Does Y imply X?" is an active voice sentence, and 「YにXは含意されますか?」 "Is X implied in Y?" is its passive voice equivalent. 含意されます doesn't contain します because it's passive.
    – chocolate
    Nov 15, 2023 at 15:04
  • That is my question: why does YにXは含意しますか not work?
    – BigRigz
    Nov 16, 2023 at 16:48

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .