I found this ad/sticker in a restaurant, in a Philippine city where a large number of Japanese students study English.

英語が伝わる楽しさをより多くの方へ

I have no idea how to make of this statement.

I understand the individual phrases/words but not why the sentence is formed as such.

1. 伝わる楽しさ: is this a common formation (ru verb+ noun)
  2. Is there another way to say this sentence? (In japanese?)
    It's actually not a sentence. There's no predicate at the end. – snailboat Feb 11 '18 at 2:49
    So it isn’t, what does this mean? I want to know about the structure of the phrase. Since it is written in that way, I assume it is intelligible and has a message. – cgo Feb 11 '18 at 3:45
  • Partly related: japanese.stackexchange.com/a/14550/9831 – Chocolate Feb 11 '18 at 3:59

1.「英語が伝わる楽しさ」 is a noun phrase, where the relative clause 英語が伝わる (your English is understood) modifies 楽しさ (joy, pleasure). For "Gapless relative clauses", please refer to this post.

「英語が伝わる楽しさ」 lit. joy where/when your English is understood → joy of making yourself understood in English

「~~楽しさをより多くの方へ」 literally means "joy (of ~~) to more people". The predicate, or verb phrase (like 届けたい or 届けます perhaps?) is left out as implied. (This kind of omission is often used as a stylistic device in slogans, ads, lyrics, song/film titles etc. e.g. 『アルジャーノンに花束を』『まごころを、君に。』)

2. I would rephrase it as...

「英語が伝わる(ことの)楽しさを、もっとたくさんの人たちへ(届けたいです / お届けします)。」
「英語が伝わる(ことの)楽しさを、もっとたくさんの人に(感じてもらいたいです)。」
etc...

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.