Before I move on to the topic, here is my analysis based on my grammar book:

これを嬉しいと思う。

これを親切だと思う。

The bolded part are quotation (引用), and the と behaves as a 格助詞 (quotation particle).

これを嬉しく思う。

これを親切に思う。

The bolded part are adverbial phrases.

Following this logic, I conclude that

これを嘘だと思う。 →quotation (引用)

これを嘘と思う。  →adverbial phrases

Hopefully someone could comment on my analysis, and more importantly, the difference of their usage. I mean, the situation when the two sentences are not interchangeable. One Japanese told me that the two sentences have little difference and can be used interchangeably, but I wonder if there is any exception.

Feel free to add more/change words to make the sentence sound more natural, 違和感がない. For instence, 「それをうそと思うかはあなた次第だ」

"当然のことと思う"/"当然のことだと思う" is another pair where I have the same question.

This depends on the verb you're using. For many verbs, AをBとV and AをBだとV are completely interchangeable. (I may be wrong, but maybe だ tends to be dropped more often if it's in either highly-casual speech or a highly-stiff written document.)

• それを嘘と思う = それを嘘だと思う
  • それを嘘と見なす = それを嘘だと見なす
  • それを嘘と考える = それを嘘だと考える
  • それを嘘と仮定する = それを嘘だと仮定する

But you cannot add だ at least for these verbs:

• 娘を花子と名付ける (×娘を花子だと名付ける)
  • これをゼータ関数と定義する (×これをゼータ関数だと定義する)
  • 人はそれを愛と呼ぶ (×人はそれを愛だと呼ぶ)

I can't explain well why. Recently @DariusJahandarie introduced me an article exactly regarding this topic, so I hope it helps you too:

Tsuyoshi Sawada, Da-Deletion: Classification of Clause-Final Elements in Japanese, Nanzan Linguistics: Special Issue 3, Vol. 2, 139–163 (PDF)

Section 8, On The Ambiguity of To, seems to be particularly related. But I haven't read them all, and note that some examples marked with * (incorrect) actually look okay to me. Particularly, the author says AをBと思った is wrong (see (66)), but I don't think so.

えっ コネチカット州のさわだつよしさんて・・・・ – Chocolate Feb 9 '18 at 13:33
  • @Schokolade えっ? – naruto Feb 9 '18 at 13:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.