A while back I had read an article (in English) online about an Japanese ceramics artist and his work, with the writer describing the artist's rather spartan furnishings as a result of his attitude or lifestyle that eschewed luxury or comfort, allowing him to better focus on his art. Whether that was actually true or not, he described it using a Japanese word, perhaps a zen concept, explaining and using that idea to paint an ethereal picture of the artist's dedication to his work. I don't know how much liberty he was taking (if any at all) with the word he was using, but here I am asking if there's anyone out there familiar with a Japanese word that encapsulates this idea/concept.

Added: I had been scanning thru hundreds of images of Japanese ceramics and checking into artists' background and then became fixated on some fantastic examples of [金継]{きんつぎ} / [金繕い]{きんつくろい} and this is where I lost where I was before when I can across that term I'm inquiring about. I don't think I can make my way back (though I've tried) to that particular article.

In all honesty, I don't think I'd be able to give a yea/nay on the correct one any more, even if saw it, but I appreciate all of the suggestions that have been offered. I think, so far, that [質素倹約]{しっそけんやく} probably best approximates what it was that I was looking for even though the definition doesn't come close to how romantically the author of the piece described it.

• Was it wabi-sabi? – Ben Roffey Feb 7 '18 at 17:07
  • Do you remember the name of the artist, or where you saw the article? The most mundane word for this concept is 質素, but probably he was using an uncommon term that sounds cooler... :-) – naruto Feb 7 '18 at 17:15
  • @Ben Roffey No, definitely wasn't wabi-sabi. – squidlydeux Feb 7 '18 at 17:49
  • I was going to suggest 質素{しっそ}, シンプル or 贅沢{ぜいたく}なし. – user27280 Feb 7 '18 at 18:54
  • 粗衣粗食{そいそしょく}ですか? – user27280 Feb 7 '18 at 19:30

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.