For full context: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/web_tokushu/2018_0202.html?utm_int=news_contents_news-closeup_002

The sentence in question: ところが、八王子隕石の存在は、落下場所となった八王子市内でもほとんど知られていません。

My attempt at translation: "However, concerning the existence of hachioji meteorite, (the place) in hachioji inner city which became the impact site is practically not known."

I don't know whether I should interprete でも in sense of でも or で+も (で being either the copula or the particle). I settled for the solution visible in my translation where で is the particle indicating location. But this was basically just because I couldnt come up with a better solution ^^

Yes, it's locative で with も (even). – user4092 Feb 4 '18 at 23:52

落下場所となった八王子市内+

= 落下場所となった八王子市内+すら

If you swap も for すら and the sentence still makes sense, も does serve as an intensifier "even".

でも in the sense of "though / encore que / obwohl / anche se", on the other hand, is usually placed at the beginning of a sentence (followed by a comma) to introduce a concessive subordinate clause, as in:

僕はこの歌手のファンだ。でも、ライブを見に行きたいほどではない。

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.