For full context: https://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/html/20180127/k10011304581000.html

The sentence in question:

厚生労働省は「人手不足や景気の回復を背景に、留学生のアルバイトや技能実習生の活用が進んでいる」としています

My attempt at translation: "Concerning the ministry of health, labour and welfare, they decide that the application of foreign students side-jobs and technical trainees for the labour shortage and support of business recovery is voluntary."

I asked about a lot of と constructions recently and Im already a bit paranoid that I stumble across the same mistakes again, but I cant help it. I think that I got it right here, since I looked up "to decide to" on jisho and I think that it fits the context. But Im not sure ^^ A と B する means "make A into B", as far as I remember, so this one "to decide to" is kind of contained in this more general interpretation. But nevertheless, Id like to confirm wether I got it right.^^

「~~としています」, in this context, means "to judge and conclude" and it is frequently used in news reporting. In plain words, it means "to assume that ~~ is the case".

In other words, the phrase is used to describe one's (current) opinion or analysis on a given matter.

"It is 厚生労働省's (judgement and) conclusion that 人手不足や景気の回復を背景に、留学生のアルバイトや技能実習生の活用が進んでいる."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.