I've looked up the 「たら〜のに」grammar, and the site says it means "would have/could have" but I'm having trouble with the potential verb 食える. I know it means "can eat" but I don't know the English equivalent. Also I know that 「別に」when paired with a negative verb it means not particular/not necessary. But how do you use with 「たら〜のに」+ potential verb? I came across this sentence reading today and I don't know what it means...

別にミーティング終わったら、一緒に食えるのに...

It would be super helpful if someone could help me with this!

It's not the hypothetical 「~たら~のに」 "If ~~, ~~ would ~~" structure. I think you should parse it this way...

[ミーティング終わったら、一緒に食える]のに...
"Even though [we can eat together when the meeting is over / after the meeting]..."

The ~たら here is "When~" or "After~" rather than "If~".

The のに at the end usually represents the speaker's feeling of discontent or regret.

A clause might be left out as implied after the のに..., for example 「~~のに、先に食べちゃうのか。」 depending on the context.

The 別に is here to add the nuance of "It's not particularly a problem" → "Nothing to worry about, right?" (別に気にしなくても), "What's the fuss?" (別に怒らなくても), "No reason for behaving/talking like that" (別にそんなことしなくても/言わなくても), etc., depending on the context.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.