I'm a beginner at Japanese and I'm stumped by the second sentence on this line from the One Piece manga:

おれの財宝か?欲しけりゃくれてやるぜ。。。

Especially the part "欲しけりゃ" (from what I gather, it's an inflection of 欲しい?)

Is this a common construct? How can I break it down?

How can I better search for this kind of thing?

• jisho.org didn't help me as it isn't listed as an inflection of 欲しい;

• someone on hinative translated the second sentence as "if you want I'll give it to you";

• Google translator seems to ignore 欲しけりゃ completely if I don't put a comma in the middle.

Any help is appreciated!

In case the links that have been provided to you in the comments below your question do not satisfy your curiosity:

欲しけりゃ means the same thing as 欲しければ

~けりゃ is an informal variation on ~ければ. Examples can be found here.

The phrase in question would be standardized as:

「欲しければあげるよ。。。」’I’ll give it to you if you want it.’

The translation for くれてやる reads thus:

自分より目下の者や、いまいましく思っている者に物を与える - Said when giving something to someone who is either below you in status or who you do not think kindly of.

In this case, it can be read as ‘I will grant you my treasure.’

This question was asked on Yahoo 知恵袋. You can find it here.

My treasure?

If you want it I’ll give it to you.

Search for it!

I’ve amassed there the entire world.

someone who seems upset -- In「いまいましく思っている者」, the subject of いまいましく思う is 自分, and the object is 者. 「自分がその者をいまいましく思っている」"I am disgusted with that person" ->「(自分が)いまいましく思っている者」"Someone whom I am disgusted with" (like... "Someone I hate") – Chocolate Jan 27 '18 at 12:57
  • Oh, so basically りゃ is a contraction of the conditional form. These contractions always get me! Thanks for all the information, the examples were all very helpful! – dvlcube Jan 27 '18 at 16:15
  • @dvlcube: Thanks for the feedback. Not to be picky (while actually being picky), It’s not really a contraction, just a phonetic change to a more casual spoken form (音変化). Often, は and ば are changed to や. たべれば→たべりゃ, それは→そりゃ・そりゃあ, etc. This is also seen in other common examples, such as なんだ→なんじゃ, では→じゃ, etc. Even どちら, どち, and どっち are examples of this (taken from now unused readings of 何方) . – BJCUAI Jan 27 '18 at 17:53
    あの・・・くどいようですが、「忌々しく思っている者」を "Someone who seems upset" と訳すのは間違ってますけど・・・・・もうそのままでよろしい? – Chocolate Jan 28 '18 at 2:37
    「いまいましい」って、persistent って意味あんの? ふええ – Chocolate Jan 28 '18 at 6:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.