I came across this english sentence tonight:

"The rebel and government groups held talks mediated by the UN."

Which I loosely translated as:

反乱の政府はUNで取り締まる会議を開催した。

Is using で the correct way to introduce secondary actors into a sentence or can が be used as well? Such as 反乱の政府はUNが取り締まる会議を開催した or ミキさんは神で/が作ったチョコを食べた。 (Micky ate chocolate made by God).

If が is not right, is there an ambiguity in the first sentence that the talks were being mediated at the UN rather than by the UN and how would I communicate explicitly that its the organisation of the UN doing the thing without using that particle?

First, I think that you should use 反乱軍代表(者), 反乱代表(者), 反政府軍代表(者), etc. instead of just 反乱.

AのBは pattern is inappropriate for the first part. AとBは or simply inserting a comma between A and B would be correct (反乱代表 と 政府代表).

UN could also be 国連, the Japanese abbreviation for the UN, or the full Japanese name 国際連合.

As で is more colloquial, you should probably use the more literary にて in this case:

反乱代表者と政府代表者はUN(国際連合)の調停/仲裁/仲介にて会談を開催しました。

There is likely already a determined format for saying this in Japanese newspapers. I will yield to more Japanese newspaper savvy commentators on this subject.

Addressing your question about using が, it is allowable with a past indicative verb. For で/にて you would use the passive form:

「AさんはBさんが作ったチョコを食べました。」'Mr. A ate chocolate made by Mr. B.'

「AさんはBさんの秘伝レシピ で/にて 作られたチョコを食べました。」'Mr. A ate chocolate made using Mr. B's secret recipe.'

反乱代表と政府代表は国連が仲裁した会談を行いました。

反乱代表と政府代表は国連にて仲裁された会談を行いました。

AさんはBさん で/にて 作られたチョコを食べました。 sounds incorrect... (「Bさんで作られたチョコ」 sounds like "chocolate made of/from B-san".) It'd be fine if you said it as 「AさんはBさん (=によって)作られたチョコを食べました。」(chocolate made by B-san), or 「AさんはBさんの家で作られたチョコを食べました。」(chocolate made at B-san's) – Chocolate Jan 27 '18 at 4:14
  • 度々すみません。この状態でマシのかな... – BJCUAI Jan 27 '18 at 5:34

"The rebel and government groups..."

Literal 「反乱軍グループと政府グループ」 might be okay, but I think it can translate to 「反乱軍[側]{がわ}と政府[側]{がわ}」 (lit. "rebel side and government side").

"...held talks..."

I would translate it as 「[会談]{かいだん}を[行]{おこな}った。」

"... mediated by the UN."

Literally, 「[国連]{こくれん}[仲裁]{ちゅうさい}される~」 (using passive voice), or 「国連仲裁する~」「国連仲裁する」 ("~~ that the UN mediated") ... but I think it might sound more natural if you said it as 「国連の仲裁で」 ("with the UN's mediation").

Put together:

"The rebel and government groups held talks mediated by the UN."
「反乱軍側と政府側は、国連仲裁される会談を行った。」 (← literal, using passive)
「反乱軍側と政府側は、国連/仲裁する会談を行った。」 (← using active)
or 「反乱軍側と政府側は、国連の仲裁で会談を行った。」

Is using で the correct way to introduce secondary actors into a sentence or can が be used as well? Such as 反乱の政府はUNが取り締まる会議を開催した or ミキさんは神で/が作ったチョコを食べた。(Micky ate chocolate made by God).

I would say...

「国連/仲裁する(した)会談」 A talk that the UN mediates (mediated)
「国連(orによって/により)仲裁される(された)会談」 A talk that is (was) mediated by the UN
「神/作った(作る)チョコ」 Chocolate that God made (makes)
「神(orによって/により)作られた(作られる)チョコ」 Chocolate that was (is) made by God

Is で the primary way of introducing a modifying actor into a sentence? 

You'd use が or の to mark the subject in a relative clause.

で as a subject marker is used in limited contexts, eg:

当社負担いたします。
私どものほう処理させていただきます。

「~~仲裁する会談」「~~作ったチョコ」 would usually be used to say "A talk mediated at [place]" "Chocolate made at [place] / from [ingredients]".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.