I've been looking at the structure of sentences like "They're both cute" and "I want this one" 「どちら」 and 「どっち」 meaning which one but how would I say the following:

"I don't know what I want"

And

"Why can't I have them both" / "Can't I have them both"

Thank you!

Maybe

どちらも どっちも neither

どちらでも どっちでも both

would be appropriate for the respective cases.

どちらも好き。 I like neither.

どっちでも欲しい。 I want both.

Just as in a conversation:

どっちが食べたい?どっちでも美味しそうだから好きに選んで。

Which do you want to eat? Both seem delicious so choose what you want.

So if you want to go for both, why not go with:

どっちでも欲しいから買ってね? I want both, so buy them (for me) okay?

どちらも好き means "I like both", not "I like neither". The latter would have to be something like どちらも好きじゃない. – Ben Roffey Jan 26 '18 at 10:33
  • Thanks, that is quite useful but if it wasn't purchasing but more like a decision such as which clothes you wanted to wear or something, how would you say "can't I HAVE them both"? Thanks! – Kazuki Jan 26 '18 at 17:05
    「どちらも どっちも both」「どっちも欲しい。I want both.」「どっちも美味しいそう Both seem delicious」「どっちも欲しいから I want both, so」 <-- "both" の場合は「どちらも どっちも」「どっちも/どちらも欲しい」「どっちも/どちらも美味しそう」「どっちも欲しい」だと思いますが・・・。(「どちらでも」「どっちでも」 would be more like "either"... eg: 「どちらでもいい。/ どっちでもいい。」"Either is fine." cf: 「どちらもいい。/どっちもいい。」 "Both are good.") – Chocolate Jan 27 '18 at 4:37

First, some basic examples:

どちらとも欲{ほ}しい / どちらも欲{ほ}しい / 両方{りょうほう}欲{ほ}しい I want both

どちらも欲しくない / 両方とも欲しくない I don't want either / I want neither

どちらでもいい Whichever one is fine どちらでも欲しい I want either one (sounds strange)

As for your specific questions:

"I don't know what I want" どっちを選んだらいいかわからない (I don't know which I should choose)

"Why can't I have them both?" どうして両方もらえないですか?

"Can't I have them both?" 両方もらえないの?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.