Is there any difference in meaning between these three structures? I think they all roughly mean "whether or not" but are they interchangable? Examples below:

両親は賛成するかしないかにかかわらず、僕は君と結婚します。

vs

明日来る来ないにかかわらず、必ずわたしに電話してください。

vs

明日は仕事を守れるかどうかが不安だった。

• Are you missing the in the second example sentence? (...来る*か*来ない*か*...) Or was the sentence intentionally composed this way? – ajsmart Jan 25 '18 at 17:16
    @ajsmart There should be no issue with this usage. Leaving the か out is acceptable. するしない is considered an viable alternative to するかしないか in dialogue. – BJCUAI Jan 25 '18 at 19:39
  • @user27280 Of course, but I only asked because it appeared in the OP's title in the question, since it seemed that he wanted to use か in the sentence in question. – ajsmart Jan 25 '18 at 21:24
  • @ajsmart Sorry, I ordered the examples incorrectly. They should now match the order I used in the title. 来る来ない matches the V | V-neg in the title and is exactly as I found it in a sentence. – MisterM2402 Jan 26 '18 at 10:37

All of the forms that you have listed have the same effective meaning and are interchangeable, so long as they follow the proper context. Cross-searching these examples on Weblio, they are pretty much all listed as synonyms, with some seemingly trivial usage differences that I do not think will actually dissuade most speakers from using them interchangeably.

するかしないか standard colloquial

するしない casual colloquial

するかどうか standard (spoken or written)

するか否{いな}か formal (usually written); somewhat pedantic

To use as an example some advice once given by Master Yoda:

「やる」か、「やらない」かだけだ → OK

「やる」、「やらない」だけだ → OK

「やる」かどうかだけだ → a little strange (not quite casual enough)

「やる」か否かだけだ → strange (mixing formal with casual)

Finally, 「するのかしないのか、」or 「するのしないの、」 could be used to carry a separate nuance; one of impatience and frustration; e.g. ‘So, are you going to do it or not!?’.

If someone has another take I will be happy to consider editing.

I believe the reading of 否 in か否か is 「いな」, not 「ひ」. – istrasci Jan 25 '18 at 22:40

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.