The following is an excerpt from an explanation by my language partner about the difference between "simple past" 送りました and 送っておきました。 She references a situation where she first sent me new-years stickers on Skype before sending me another message on italki where she reference her sending the stickers on skype before sending the message on italki via using a 送っておきました construction.

「送りました」 の場合、過去形になっているので、メッセージを書くよりも前に送ったことになりますが、メッセージとの関係は示されていません。

I think that よりも前に means something along the lines of "from before", although I dont really know what this も does here.

My attempt at translation: "In case of '送りました', because it is past form, even though it takes the meaning of having it (=the skype stickers) sent from before writing the message, it doesn't demonstrate the relationship with the message."

メッセージを書くよりも前に送ったことになりますが、

The 「よりも前に」 means "before" or "earlier than". (より means "than", and 前に means "earlier".)

You can rephrase the sentence without changing the meaning:

メッセージを書くより前に送ったことになりますが、
メッセージを書く前に送ったことになりますが、

"although it would mean that (I) sent it before writing the message, ..."

「より前に」 sounds more explicit than just 「前に」, and 「よりも前に」 sounds a bit more emphatic than 「より前に」/「前に」.

As for the も:

よりも〘連語〙⇒ より(格助詞)
(明鏡国語辞典)

Sidenote: You can't replace より(も)前に with 前に when it follows a noun, e.g.

「山田さんより(も)前に着いた。」(×山田さん前に着いた。)
"I arrived before Yamada-san. / I arrived earlier than Yamada-san."

The function of 「よりも」 in this case would indicate a meaning of 'more than', or 'even more ____ '.

The use of も to mean 'even' is demonstrated below:

Aをしても Even if I do A.

Aでもない Not even A.

それよりも, A. Even more than that, A. /// Rather than that, A.

My interpretation of what your language partner was saying would be:

As regards my use of 「送りました」, as it is in the past-tense form, I was indicating that I sent them (the stickers) EVEN before composing a message, not referencing the actual message.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.