An American boxer has been living in Japan for 3 years. He lives in the Kansai area, so he speaks Kansai dialect. He complains that after 3 years in Japan he still hasn't fought against a really strong opponent, then he says this sentence:

ちゃんと強いヒトホンマ相手頼んますわ〰 ほな前座はこれにて――― 閉店ガラガラガラ――

Here you can see the whole page. What is the meaning of the second part of the sentence, in particular 閉店ガラガラガラ? Is that Kansai-ben too? Thank you for your help!

漫才コンビ「ますだおかだ」の岡田圭右さんのギャグですよね・・・『リクドウ』って、割と新しい漫画でしょう? – Chocolate Jan 21 '18 at 13:04
  • @Chocolate そう、2014年-連載中です。 – Marco Jan 21 '18 at 13:47
  • 「閉店ガラガラガラ」が岡田圭右さんのギャグであることも、上下に開閉するシャッターの音であることも全く知らずに回答しました。シャッター音も確かに「ガラガラガラ」ですが、左右に動く「引き戸」の音も岡田さんとは関係なしに、また関西弁とも関係なしに、日本語で「ガラガラガラ」と表現します。「ガラガラガラ」は「引き戸」を開け閉めするときの擬音語として普通に使われます。しかし、日本では引き戸は今ではほとんど使われなくなりました。 – mackygoo Jan 21 '18 at 14:27

「ほな前座はこれにて」 → "Well then, that's it for the opening act."

「閉店ガラガラ」 is one of the signature shticks of the comedian 岡田圭右, of the Kansai comedy duo ますだおかだ, typically used at the end of their comedy sessions. (「閉店」 means the closing of a shop and 「ガラガラ」 is here an onomatopoeia for the shutter being pulled down.) The extra 「ガラ」 in the manga could be a precaution against a potential lawsuit.

• Oh, so it's not the boxer who is talking here right? – Marco Jan 21 '18 at 13:16
    No, it's supposed to be the boxer. Maybe I should have given "Well then, that's it for my opening act." for that line. – goldbrick Jan 21 '18 at 13:24
  • I thought it could be the presenter talking. Thank you for your answer! – Marco Jan 21 '18 at 13:34

ガラガラガラ is an onomatopeia representing the RATTLE NOISE of opening or closing a sliding door. In the given phrase, the noise means closing the door for "閉店 lit. closing a store/shop for the day".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.