It is almost the end of the day. So I want to say to my office mate that I will be leaving soon. Is it natural to say:

そろそろ出ています。

or :

そろそろ出発しています。

You should never have to say this because if you're a good Japanese employee, you'll be the last one at the office every night. :D – istrasci Jan 17 '18 at 22:44
    Both of your sentences mean "they would have left now". – user4092 Jan 18 '18 at 1:47
    「お先{さき}です!」「お先{さき}に失礼{しつれい}します!」「もう帰{かえ}るよ。」 – mackygoo Jan 18 '18 at 7:13

Unfortunately neither of your examples are very natural.

There are already a couple fixed expressions. 帰る (go home) or 失礼する (take my leave). You wouldn't use progressive forms for either. While in English you can say 'I'll be going home now', that doesn't work for Japanese. 'I go home now' is more natural.

出発する means to depart for somewhere, usually far off, that is not your home. 出る would indicate that you're going out, but you might be back.

「(もう)そろそろ失礼します」 or 「(もう)そろそろ帰ります」 would be appropriate.

What about 出かけるところです? – ajsmart Jan 17 '18 at 22:04
  • 出かける also implies imminent return, i.e. 'Stepping out for a while'. Which would be fine if you were just going to a meeting and coming right back: 出かけてくる – BJCUAI Jan 17 '18 at 22:51
    @ajsmart 出かける is okay for leaving home for school, work, (even) a (long) trip etc. and is also okay to use for leaving the office if you're coming back on the day. If you're stepping out for only a while and coming right back, 「 ちょっと出かけてきます。」とかね。 – Chocolate Jan 18 '18 at 1:02
    「ちょっと帰るところですけど。」はちょっと・・・ – Chocolate Jan 18 '18 at 1:14
    Exactly right. If the listener already knows that you will be leaving and to where you are headed, you can shorten it to a simple そろそろ出発します or すぐ出発します。 – BJCUAI Jan 18 '18 at 14:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.