g'day guys.

店を休んで, 電車で薬屋へ行きました

Does this sentence mean that: the person is absent/resting from the store (that he may work at), and had caught the train to go to the pharmacy?

This is from the text book i am trying to work through.

I'd say it's the connection of this part that i'm unsure about: 店を休んで

Thank for your time. Shaun.

Potential duplicate: japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/36189/… – Mindful Jan 17 '18 at 14:13
    店を休んで, 電車で薬屋へ行きました Does this sentence mean that: the person is absent/resting from the store (that he may work at), and had caught the train to go to the pharmacy? -- Yes, it can mean that too... – Chocolate Jan 18 '18 at 0:43

G'day to you too.

If you were referring to work, school, etc., ~を休む would simply mean to 'take time off from ~'. As you normally wouldn't actually close the entire school or workplace.

In this instance, however, the use of 店 is telling. By choosing to not say 'work', rather 'the store' it likely means that they will be 'closing the store temporarily'.

Some examples:

「今日は店は休みのようだ。」It appears that the store is closed today.

「私のお店は年中無休です。」My shop is open (without fixed closures) year round.

A fixed closure day is 定休日 and an irregular closure day would be 休店日 (休業日).

In other words, 'closing' a shop uses the word 休む by default.

• Cheers mate, This is very helpful. – user26596 Jan 17 '18 at 23:19
  • Glad to hear it. – BJCUAI Jan 17 '18 at 23:38
  • A fixed closure day is 休店日. <-- 「 [定休日]{ていきゅうび} 」じゃなくて? – Chocolate Jan 18 '18 at 0:36
  • Thanks. You're right. I should have removed the 'fixed' from my answer, which I will do now. – BJCUAI Jan 18 '18 at 0:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy