I'm translating a comic and I found this kanji combination on the headers. It's like a counter for pages.

其之一
其之二
etc.

その is the reading. I wanted to get more info about that but I didn't find anything via google. Is that somehow familiar to you or is this way how it's written just really old?

其之 is a rare kanji version of その meaning "its". The kanji 其 on its own means "it" and 之 means "~'s". Today その is almost always written in kana, but they used difficult kanji for archaism. Is the comic about ninja or something?

その is usually used as an old counter-like prefix for chapters/episodes/parts of a story, not pages. For example その5 typically means "episode 5" or "part 5", not "page 5".

the comic is a doujin about dragon ball. thank u for the information I was not sure if the typical sono was the same as this kanji combination. – lovelykotori Jan 16 '18 at 11:35
    @lovelykotori That makes sense, Dragon Ball was loosely based on an old Chinese novel. – naruto Jan 16 '18 at 13:23
    I'm pretty sure Dragon Ball is based loosely on Journey to the West. More information can be found here: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Journey_to_the_West – Pleiades Jan 16 '18 at 15:04
    I think その works like the number sign (#). E.g. その1("#1"), その2("#2"), その3("#3") and so forth. Or like this: ルールその1、ルールその2、ルールその3...("Rule #1, Rule #2, Rule #3"...) – goldbrick Jan 16 '18 at 15:05
    此れ(これ)、其れ(それ)、何れ(どれ)、are still used occasionally in literary materials, restaurant and product names, etc. (also 此の and其の). The possessive particle 之 (の)can also be seen fairly often in surnames, given names, and some other instances. – BJCUAI Jan 16 '18 at 19:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.