I'm a beginner in Japanese so I'm trying to read and translate a light novel to improve my vocabulary so I came across this sentence:

他{ほか}の生徒{せいと}たちが部活{ぶかつ}に帰宅{きたく}にと平和{へいわ}な放課後{ほうかご}を過{す}ごす中{なか}、保健室{ほけんしつ}には、少女{しょうじょ}の悲鳴{ひめい}が響{ひび}き渡{わた}っていた.

As a translation I came up with:

"The other students were heading home after their club activities after spending a peaceful afterschool time when a girl’s scream echoed from the infirmary."

But I'm unsure about this so I have those questions:

1. Did the other students already leave the school after their club activities or are they still doing them?

2. What's the function of にと before 平和な放課後を過ごす中?

3. Is the translation I provided satisfactory?

Thank you in advance.

1. The students are either going home or going to their club activities. 部活に帰宅に 'To club, to home'.

2. 部活に (to club) 帰宅に (to home). にと is not a pair to be read together in that way. Rather than にと, the と is describing the atmosphere or situation in which the school was at the time of the occurrence. --という雰囲気  と is encapsulating everything coming before it as the setting.

3. The other students were either headed to their club activities or going home, enjoying a moment of peace after the long (sic) school day. Meanwhile, from the nurse's office, a girl's shriek resounded and pierced the calm. (Artistic license taken)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.