The following is an excerpt from a dialogue between me and my language partner.

「ささやく」についてですが、この動詞は、自動詞と他動詞、両方の使い方ができます。

「大蒜の神さまです」 と彼女はうやうやしくささやいた。
他動詞として使うこともできます

「大蒜の神さまです」 と彼女はささやくように言った。
のように、自動詞として「ように」とつなげて使うこともできます。
(「ように」 については、あとで説明します)

The parts in bold are the ones which I'm not quite sure wether they were intended. 1) I have no idea what the first と is supposed to do there. Really nothing. 2) できますし。I guess it could be し making the verb chuushi form, but I don't see how this would lead to a meaningful sentence combined with 「大蒜の神さまです」 と彼女はささやくように言った。 3) のように confused me at first, but I guess it is a casual way to say that she is going to say something about ように. "About ように" I guess is what shall be expressed by that?

Just a reminder: Please don't post answers in the comments section. – snailcar Jan 14 '18 at 20:04

There is no typo. You need to notice there is one big sentence with two embedded (or in-lined) example sentences. An English equivalent is something like this.

As for ささやく, there are both intransitive and transitive usages.

You can use it as a transitive verb like:

「大蒜の神さまです」 と彼女はうやうやしくささやいた。

...and you can also use it as an intransitive verb that is followed by ように, like:

「大蒜の神さまです」 と彼女はささやくように言った。

1. This と is a simple quotative particle. The quoted part is the first example sentence right before it.
  2. This し is a way to connect two verbs in a sentence. Note that the sentence does not end at this point because the punctuation mark right after it is a comma (). As you can see, colon (:) and ellipsis (...) are commonly used for this purpose in English.
  3. This の here is a simple connecting particle that relates two nouns. The first "noun" is the second example sentence right before it.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.