The following is an excerpt from a conversation between me and my language partner: ニンニクも植えていますので、丸ごとアルミホイルで包み、オーブンで焼いて食べることがあります。

My attempt at translation: "Because we also grow garlic, we also eat it baking it fully wrapped in aluminium in the oven."

I translated 包み as "wrapped" because I couldn't find a way to translate it as a noun. Even if my translation is right, Im still very confused because there is NOTHING attached to it, no する, no particle, no nothing. I rather expect that my translation is wrong, but then again I don't know how to translate this in a different way.

Then there is "dictionary form (present) + ことがあります"。 I actually only know of た-form + ことがあります. I translated it without any semantical additions, even though I found a source where the "dictionary form (present) + ことがあります" pattern is described: http://japanesetest4you.com/flashcard/learn-jlpt-n3-grammar-%E3%81%93%E3%81%A8%E3%81%8C%E3%81%82%E3%82%8B-koto-ga-aru/ I'm not sure wether I should translate it as it is described there since my sentence is lacking the adverb たまに. However, I got the impression that the "dictionary form (present) + ことがあります" pattern expresses this "there are times..." meaning by itself. But I don't know, so I wanted to ask you^^

You can rephrase it as 丸ごとアルミホイルで包んで 、オーブンで焼いて食べる -- See here for the usage of the continuative form connecting clauses: japanese.stackexchange.com/a/9772/9831 – Chocolate Jan 14 '18 at 1:47
    Aand.. for the することがある, this thread will be of some help, perhaps? japanese.stackexchange.com/q/3977/9831 – Chocolate Jan 14 '18 at 1:51
  • If you have the book A Dictionary of Intermediate Japanese Grammar (and every J learner should!), the 包み continuative form is covered in great detail under the entry "Vmasu", I believe. – mamster Jan 14 '18 at 18:06

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.