My friend ended a letter thusly:


ノシ symbolizes a waving arm. Is this considered 絵文字 or does it have a different name?

  • This question is trivial. And it is not helpful. As Chocolate comments, if you want to call it, you can. If you don't want to, you can not to. – user458 May 24 '12 at 9:37
  • I learned that it is called both things so it was helpful to me. I apologize if you were offended or in any way put in a bad mood by the triviality of this question. – yadokari May 25 '12 at 1:34
  • I was not offended at all. I just felt that it could be either way or the other, and does not matter. Never mind. – user458 May 25 '12 at 3:08

Nico Nico actually calls it 顔文字. (And so do other places like here.)

Edit: There is, perhaps, some crossover, but 絵文字 more broadly refers to things like pictograms (pictures with meaning), while 顔文字 refers to...well, 顔文字 (characters put together to make faces).

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.