For full context: http://www3.nhk.or.jp/news/easy/k10011277371000/k10011277371000.html

The sentence in question: ローマ法王は、今までも「人間は広島や長崎から何も学んでいない」などと言って、核兵器に反対してきました。

My attempt at translation: "Concerning the roman pope, saying even until now 'mankind hasn't learned anything from hiroshima and nagasaki', he began resisting nuclear weapons."

• Maybe replace resisting with OPPOSING since that verb would fit better the intended meaning. I think, – 4th Dimension Jan 7 '18 at 11:50

「核兵器{かくへいき}に反対{はんたい}してきました」

Your translation of that is:

"he began resisting nuclear weapons"

I must say, unfortunately, that your translation is off.

「Verb in te-form + いく or くる」

always means "to do something continuously for an extended period of time".

It could never mean "to begin to (verb)" or "to begin (verb)+ing"

Thus, the phrase in question means:

"he has (always) been against nuclear arms"

The subsidiary verb 「いく」 is used to describe future actions and 「くる」, for past actions up to the present.

くる ⇒ きた ⇒ きました

The original uses 「きました」, the polite form of 「きた」.

• Thanks :=) For this translation, I looked at this thread japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/676/… and somehow jumbled 来る with 行く. Although I guess translating "空が明るくなっていく。 The sky [over a period of time starting now and continuing indefinitely] brightens." with "The sky starts to brighten" probably isn't the best idea either?^^ – Narktor Jan 9 '18 at 16:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.