I can't find the difference and in the book that I use there is no explanation.

Context: It is about ordering food. I have two sentences:

ミルクと砂糖入りの紅茶はいくらですか。
ホットコーヒーをミルクと砂糖入りでください。

What's the context? Are you talking about phrases for ordering food, like 「ピクルスぬきのハンバーガー」 vs 「ハンバーガー、ピクルスぬきで」、「ワサビいりの鉄火巻き」vs 「鉄火巻き、ワサビ入りで」?? – Chocolate Jan 4 '18 at 11:41
  • Yes, It is about ordering food, I have two sentence. One is ミルクと砂糖入りの紅茶はいくらですか。And the second one is ホットコーヒーをミルクと砂糖入りでください。 – Hotondo Dantenshi Jan 4 '18 at 18:08

Generally speaking, ~で is always adverbial (i.e., modifies a verb), whereas ~の always connects to the following noun. In English this distinction is not always clear because "with ~", "to ~", "in ~" and so on can modify both a noun and a verb.

• ワサビ抜きで寿司を食べた。 I ate sushi without wasabi; I ate, without wasabi, sushi.
  • ワサビ抜きで寿司 (sounds like an incomplete sentence fragment because there is no verb for 抜きで to modify)
  • ワサビ抜きの寿司を食べた。 I ate sushi without wasabi; I ate wasabi-free sushi.
  • ワサビ抜きの寿司 wasabi-free sushi (noun phrase)

When you order something, you can say, for example:

ミルク入りでください。
ミルク入りでお願いします。
With milk, please.

...because ください/お願いします is a verb. You can omit this verb and say this simply:

ミルク入り
With milk (, please).

| improve this answer | |

I think you should provide the sentence in the book to get a nice answer.

Probably your book contains the sentence like “彼抜きの会議はつまらない。” or “彼抜きで会議はつまらない” The former normally implies “the meeting without him is boring.”. The latter normally implies “Having a meeting without him is boring.”

Hopefully you could provide some sentences for the distinction 入りの/入りで.

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you for the tip. It´s my first time posting a question. I have two sentence. One is ミルクと砂糖入りの紅茶はいくらですか。And the second one is ホットコーヒーをミルクと砂糖入りでください。 – Hotondo Dantenshi Jan 4 '18 at 18:09
  • You need to add it into your question to get a nice answer. You can edit your question. – user25382 Jan 4 '18 at 22:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.