enter image description here

I am trying to find the meaning and pronunciation of this kanji, but this kanji appears impossible to find.

What methods did you try? – droooze Jan 2 '18 at 17:20
    If it exists, it can't be impossible to find — you just haven't looked in the right place... – Earthliŋ Jan 2 '18 at 18:58

学研 新漢和大辞典 lists this character as a variant of 灩. I reproduce parts of the entry here

[異体] 灔, [non-unicode character], 灎

[音] エン(エム)(呉)(漢)

[意味] ①《動》ただよう (ただよふ)。水がゆだかにたゆたう。②「灔澦堆【エンヨタイ】」とは、四川【シセン】省奉節県の西南、長江の瞿唐峡【クトウキョウ】の口にそそりたつ大岩石。付近は水流が急で、船の難所とされる。

[解字]会意兼形声。「水+音符豔【エン】(=艶。ゆたか)」。

【灩灩】エンエン(エムエム)①水がなみなみと満ちあふれるさま。②月光が水にただよって光るさま。

• [解字]会意兼形声。「水+音符豔エン(=艶。ゆたか)」。 is misleading. (1)「艶」does not have a reading of「ゆたか」, that refers to its left hand component「豊」only. (2) The「会意」classification only applies to definitions like「②月光が水にただよって光るさま。」, because「艶」means「つや」or「なまめかしい」, not 「ゆたか」. It's incorrect to say「会意兼形声」as the two classifications do not overlap in situations, just like you wouldn't say「象」, which can mean「かたち」, is「象形兼仮借」. – droooze Jan 2 '18 at 20:07
    @droooze Thank you for your comment. The "category" 会意兼形声 seems to be a peculiarity of the 新大漢和辞典, used for 形声文字 whose "sound/voicing" component (here 豔) was chosen not at random, but rather for having a (possibly loose) connection with the character in question. I don't think that the dictionary claimed that ゆたか be a valid reading for 艶 — rather that the choice of 豔 as 形声 component could be associated with the meaning of ゆたか (either because 豔 itself has this meaning or because one of its components — here 豊 — does; 豊 is not read エン, so 豔 might just have been considered a fitting substitute). – Earthliŋ Jan 2 '18 at 20:49
  • That is indeed confusing, because 会意兼形声 is a valid categorisation for characters like「源」, as the history behind this character is very well known. In this example,「原」is known (not just have a loose connection with) to be the original form of「源」. – droooze Jan 2 '18 at 20:59
  • @droooze Before saying anything (else) wrong, let me look up what they 会意兼形声 means to them. – Earthliŋ Jan 2 '18 at 22:05
    I've provided a reference to 会意兼形声 if you're interested. See i.stack.imgur.com/ktfnJ.jpg. – droooze Jan 3 '18 at 0:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.