The following is an excerpt from a dialogue with my language partner. For some context, I told her that I went to the restaurant with my girlfriend and her family on christmas eve. She then replied the following:

クリスマスイブの食事の話をおもしろく読みました。日本では、クリスマスイブディナーというと、恋人同士で行くイメージですね。

My attempt at translation:

"I enjoyed reading your story about the christmas-eve-meal. In Japan, there is the impression that..."

So, I think that 恋人同士で行く is an attribute to イメージ which itself is part of the sentences predicative via the copula です(ね). I think 恋人同士で行く means "To go as a couple (literal: To go being a couple). My main issue is that I have little to no idea how to connect that with クリスマスイブディナーというと.
From my more recent questions, I've learned that という can put the two elements on both sides into a "A = B" relationship. Then, whenever と isn't used as a quotative or conditional particle, and when it also doesn't connect two nouns like "ミラーさんと田中さんはもう帰りました。", my last idea would be the functionality of "AとBは違います。" = "A differs from B".
However, if the latter should be the case, then it really gives me a headache how to integrate クリスマスイブディナーという and 恋人同士で行くイメージですね into each other, especially since I also dont really know how to handle the direct succession of と to という.

• You mentioned the conditional use of と, so is there a reason you didn't consider it here? – Leebo Jan 2 '18 at 16:33
    Hm, good question. "In Japan, when you say 'christmas dinner', there is the image of going as a couple." That would work. I was so set on reading という as the "A = B" pattern, that it never came to my mind to translate クリスマスイブディナーという in a way where と as conditional particle would make sense.^^ – Narktor Jan 2 '18 at 16:39

As Leebo mentioned in the comment section, it's the conditional use of the particle と.

Simply put, the pattern is "If A, then B", or A⟹B if you are more familiar with logical expressions.

Here's a short example:

日本語{にほんご}で話{はな}すと人格{じんかく}が変{か}わる

Whenever I speak Japanese, my personality changes.

Going back to your example "~というと" means "speaking of ~"

日本では、クリスマスイブディナーというと、恋人同士で行くイメージですね。

Speaking of Christmas dinner, Japanese have the image of couples going out for dinner together.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.