The following is an excerpt from a conversation with my language partner.

For some context:

階段から落ちたそうですが、大丈夫ですか。骨折はしていなくて、右足のじん帯を痛めたのですね。早く良くなるといいですね。

The sentence in question:

早く良くなるといいですね。

My translation: "When it recovers/you recover quickly, it is good."

Now, this sentence isn't really much of a problem for me. I just would like to know what nuance is expressed through the use of the と conditional particle. Does it express something along the lines of "hopefully"? "Hopefully it/you will recover quickly."? Because I just recently was looking for an adverb or the like to express "hopefully", and unfortunately I only found this http://jisho.org/search/hopefully. So maybe the pattern used by my language partner can be used to express this?

Naturally translated it would equate to "I hope you(he/she/they) get better soon." Literally it means something like "if [subject] gets better soon, it will be good." といい is often used like this to express "I hope~". There is no nuance of "hopefully" from と. といい is basically "If... ~ ...good"

• In American English we often use "hopefully" and "I hope" interchangeably. – mamster Jan 2 '18 at 3:16
    @mamster Far from just American English - I think that's a universal thing. – Aeon Akechi Jan 2 '18 at 3:38

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.