My sentence: 彼はこれを出来るなら僕は矢っ張り出来る

Correction: 彼にそれが出来るなら、僕にもできる

I can understand the rest of the changes, but why はー>に ? All they said was that it sounded more natural but they weren't sure why. Could someone explain this to me? Thanks!

tl;dr: 「は」 is a big no-no for the subject marker in if-clauses.

A two-step explanation will be in order here.

First, there is a big grammar rule that says "DO NOT use 「は」 as the subject marker in an if-clause. Use 「が」 for that."

Correct:「キミ行{い}くなら、ボク行く。」

Incorrect:「キミ行くなら、ボク行く。」

This seems to be a very common mistake among Japanese-learners. SE is no exception at all.

Secondly, 「できる」, which is used in your sentence, is a special verb that can take 「に」 with the subject as in 「(person) + に + できる」. However, the が-over-は rule for the if-clauses still stands, which is why it is incorrect to say:

「彼できるなら、ボクやっぱりできる。」

which is essentially what you wrote.

That is because the first part of that sentence is an if-clause as it uses 「なら」. You just cannot use 「は」 there. Thus, it is only correct to say:

「彼できるなら、ボク(に)もできる。」

But as I mentioned above, it is more natural to use 「に」 than 「は/が」 with 「できる」. Thus, your teacher/friend corrected your sentence that used 「は」 to:

「彼それ出来るなら、僕にもできる。」

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.