Here's how it was used (taken from a JLPT listening question):

A: わたし、ジャンプジャンプのコンサートに行きたい。

B: もうチケットないよ、きっと。ファンクラブに電話して聞いてみる?

So, is this not literally a fan club?

Is this implying that you get tickets from a fan club? If they're fans, why would they sell tickets? Their own tickets? How does concert ticket selling work? (I am cultural-illiterate here I guess.)

Sorry if I'm overthinking it. よろしくおねがいします

• Official fan clubs are pretty common. It's not that different from joining a discount club for a store, but it's for a musician or sports team instead. – Leebo Jan 1 '18 at 6:01
  • In Japan, fan clubs often do sell tickets and things like this... – virmaior Jan 1 '18 at 6:29

I will try not to overgeneralize things here, but there are at least two types of 「ファンクラブ」 for Japanese musicians, athletes, etc.

Type 1: Official fan clubs (公設{こうせつ}/公式{こうしき}ファンクラブ)

These are often run by the management companies responsible for promoting their "celebs". These usually charge you fees to join and to maintain your membership on a yearly basis.

Type 2: Unofficial, "privately-run" fan clubs (私設{しせつ}ファンクラブ)

These are mostly run by the fans for a more purely non-business basis.

It is the Type 1 fan clubs that manage event tickets. (Type 2 simply does not possess that kind of power.) Their members, naturally, are often given priority in getting the tickets.

This is why what B states makes perfect sense in Japanese culture. The official fan club has the most up-to-date information on the ticket sales.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.