I know it's for accessories that don't fall under head,torso and legs portion of the body. Shouldn't underwear (パンツ) be used with はく?

I saw it in a J-drama where a girl says パンツがつけてない to make the guy get a nosebleed.

Are you sure she said 「パンツつけてない」, not 「パンツつけてない」? – Chocolate Dec 31 '17 at 10:16

The normal verb for パンツ is はく. パンツをつける is highly unnatural, but パンツを身につける is acceptable (although wordy). I think you have misheard something.

• No mishearing took place. Just a recollection difference from ga to wa and the noun was diff which has no effect on the meaning. newasiantv.io/watch/tamiou-episode-3-engsub.592.8373.html at the 45:30 mark. ”下着はつけたない”。 – shoryuu Jan 1 '18 at 10:55
  • ^ shoryuu「下着はつけていないのよ」って言ってますよね・・・「パンツがつけてない」とはえらい違いですが・・・。 You know は replaces を, right? 「下着つける」(not 「下着つける」)→「下着つけていない」... and 下着 includes ブラジャーとか... – Chocolate Jan 1 '18 at 16:46
  • I didn't know は replaces を but I を know が replaces を. Oh hey, now they all can replace each other lol. Good point about underwear being a blanket term. So つけていない is fine with brassiere (which we think is being referred to) as compared to with panties then? – shoryuu Jan 1 '18 at 18:10
  • @shoryuu 下着をつける is fine because 下着 is undergarments in general. – naruto Jan 2 '18 at 3:31
  • So you are saying a general word is fine to use つける?So if I was just generally talking about ふく i can use つける with it too? Like "humans wear clothes in our society (私たちの社会には各人は服をつける)" Is this just a contraction of your身につける without the 身に? – shoryuu Jan 2 '18 at 4:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.