I keep searching around for what it means, since I want to use the name as one of my characters. But the closest I've ever gotten to a translation was Mina Ashido's name being a pun on meaning Acid. And even then I feel like I'm missing alternate, more viable meanings depending on the spelling and their english meanings. Help?

• "Ashido (maybe 芦戸)" has no meaning. The name "Asido" derive from "acid" because they sound like each other. – iomat Dec 30 '17 at 5:05
    The meaning can only be determined once you give the name in Japanese (i.e. in kanji). – Earthliŋ Dec 30 '17 at 7:59

I'm not even sure if you know about kanji, but there are more than one way to write the surname "Ashido" with Japanese characters. Ashido is not a common surname, and therefore it's not possible to give the "meaning" unless we know the kanji version of it.

Here are two possibilities with the meaning of each kanji.

• 足土 Ashido: 足 = foot, 土 = soil
  • 芦戸 Adhido: 芦 = reed (plant), 戸 = door

That said, generally speaking, the meaning of a surname is usually not worth thinking about. It's something we unconditionally inherit from out parents, and almost no one can explain when and how their surname was coined.

• Well I'm referring to a main name. Not surname. A person's given name and what it could mean depending on it's spelling, since I know that there's more than one version of the name out there. I just can't read Japanese, despite grasping basic mechanics. After all, I don't wanna name my character something stupid by mistake :P – Samir Malik Dec 31 '17 at 4:16
  • Ashido is extremely unlikely as a given name, and I cannot think of what it could possibly mean or what its kanji could ever look like. If you don't know enough Japanese, you should simply avoid such a given name. (Note that Mina Ashido's given name is Mina, not Ashido) – naruto Dec 31 '17 at 4:46
  • I know Ashido isn't her given name. But she's the most relevant example. – Samir Malik Jan 1 '18 at 1:07

How about 吾獅童 for "Ashido"?

If you allow a long vowel sound of "o" like "oh" or "ō", "ashido" could be written as 吾獅童, which means "I'm a child of a lion", where 吾 means I, 獅 means a lion and 童 means a child or a little boy.

By the way Nakamura Shidō II (二代目 中村 獅童 Nidaime Nakamura Shidō), is a famous Japanese kabuki and film actor.

• Lion child? That sounds too fitting for that character, especially the child part. "I, the Lion Child" it is! :D – Samir Malik Jan 1 '18 at 1:08
  • @SamirMalik: I wish you and the child a happy New Year! – mackygoo Jan 1 '18 at 5:37

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.