I was translating this song (full lyrics here: https://www5.atwiki.jp/hmiku/pages/37091.html) and I had trouble with the third line in this phrase (the rest are there for context)

ああやってこうやって

どうしようもないと思った

結局は何だって

才能が肝心なんだ

I was confused since 結局は何だって seemed to go by itself, but I don't really understand how it could. I was thinking it was just, "In the end, anything" which would go with the "I thought there's no other way;" that is, the speaker didn't know what to do, so they just did anything. I thought perhaps it could go with the next line, i.e. "In the end, having any talent is crucial," though I thought that was even less supported by the lyrics. I feel like I'm reaching with either interpretation, though.

How is 結局は何だって translated in this context?

Thank you!

結局{けっきょく}は何{なん}だって

才能{さいのう}が肝心{かんじん}なんだ

First of all, these two lines constitute one sentence, not the first line by itself.

「だって」 here means 「でも」 or 「であっても」.

Thus, 「何だって」 means "whatever it is", "in/for anything", etc.

"After all, whatever it is, talent is essential/important/crucial"

• I wasn't sure, and I didn't want to combine lines if they didn't actually go together. Thank you! – Smoothie Dec 30 '17 at 0:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.