The following is an excerpt from a dialogue between me and my language partner.

The sentence in question needs some context.

I wrote to her about my struggles with real-time conversation. I also asked her whether the construction I used in the respective sentence was correct or not. The following is me telling her about my struggles and then asking her about the grammar of my sentence:

私には対話で相手に自然に答えることがいつも難しいものでした (Or would it be better to say it with a verb + にくい“ construction/pattern: 私には対話で相手に自然に答えにくいでした)。

She replied to me quoting part of my sentence and adding her commentary:

「私には対話で相手に自然に答えることがいつも難しいものでした」 という文章に「にくい」を使うかどうかですが、使わない方が自然な文章になると思います。 これが過去のことであるのならば、 「私は、対話での自然な受け答えをいつも難しいと感じました」 でいいのではないでしょうか。「対話」と「受け答え "response"」という言葉で、「相手がいる」ことははっきりわかるので、「相手に」は省略して良いでしょう。

What confuses me the most is ならば, printed in bold. However, I'm also not sure if I understood the rest correctly, so below I'll write down my translation of her entire reply above:

"Whether to use 'にくい' in the phrase 'It always was a difficult thing for me to reply to my partner naturally in a dialogue' or not, I think it becomes a more natural sentence not using it. In case this is a thing from the past, wouldn't 'I always experience a natural response in a dialogue as difficult' be fine as well? Because one knows clearly 'a partner exists' because of the words 'dialogue' and 'response', it is okay ommitting 'to the partner'.

What I did here was simply taking なら from here because that's the only result jisho gave me when searching for ならば. I must also add that until now, なら was only known to me as a suffix when picking up something up a partner in dialogue said. I thought that the conditional semantics listed on jisho suits this case better, but I might be mistaken here as well.

As far as I understand it, 「ならば」 is basically just a more formal/literary 「なら」. See here. I think the only person I've ever heard use it in speech was a mathematics professor during lectures, but it shows up in writing.

The differences in usage between conditionals in general in Japanese is a much larger topic and has been discussed in other questions, such as this one, but if you understand 「なら」 as a conditional then you should be fine with 「ならば」.

I think

In case this is a thing from the past

is maybe not the best way to translate it, because "(just) in case" can carry nuances of preparing for or dealing with something undesirable. I think "If..." is fine, or if you want to use "case" and preserve the literary tone, you can say "In the case that...", though this is a little bit verbose.

As for the rest of your translation, I think you're getting the important stuff right. Some of the English is slightly weird, but I assume this is intentional for the sake of a very literal translation. That said, I would change

'I always experience a natural response in a dialogue as difficult'

to

'I always feel that natural responses in dialogue are difficult'

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.