I can't make heads or tails with translating this question in a book I'm translating at the moment. The sentence I'm working on, ironically enough, leads me to more questions while from what I can gather, is about a question itself. (Image is provided for assistance and spell-checking Japanese)

これを一体どうしろというのか?

enter image description here

I know that これを一体 can be translated to 'this' 'one object' / 'this' 'one body' / 'this' 'unity'/ 'this' 'the heck...', but the rest I have absolutely no clue as to what it can mean in this sentence other than that the last two hiragana のか is a particle.

「これを一体{いったい}どうしろというのか?」

「一体」 here is a light cuss word meaning "the heck", "in the world", etc.

「どうしろという」 should be remembered as a set phrase meaning "to tell (me or another person) what to do".

「これ」 would refer to the knife you asked a question about recently.

So, we would have something like:

"What the heck are (they) telling me to do with this?"

More naturally,

"What the heck do they want me to do with this?"

• Thanks for the tip regarding [どうしろという], I'll study it more later to memorize it. Okay... so "What the heck does she want me to do with this knife?" works for a translation. I've been translating all day none stop, without food, so I probably should take a break in order to re-energize so I can focus more later. By the way, is it possible to message other members on this site without doing so via comments, like I am doing right now? – Toyu_Frey Dec 27 '17 at 1:24
  • @Toyu_Frey We don't have a private messaging function on SE. ^^; – Chocolate Dec 27 '17 at 4:04
    Is 一体 really a curse word? – goldbrick Dec 27 '17 at 19:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.