The following excerpt is taken from a conversation with my language partner.

息子はサンタさんにカメラをお願いしました。ドイツでは、クリスマスをどんな[風]{ふう}にお祝いしますか。

My attempt at translation:

"My son has asked for a camera from Santa. In Germany, in what manner do you gift Christmas?"

So, first I'm simply not sure if I interpreted 風 correctly or not.
On jisho.org the meaning "manner, behavior" is listed when 風 is used as a "noun/noun used as prefix"? What does this mean? That it is used as a noun in the function of a prefix, or that it can be used as a noun OR like a prefix??
There were no other meanings which would make any sense here, unless wind/breeze can be used metaphorically here.

Ultimately, クリスマスを...お祝いしますか. To "gift Christmas" doesn't seem to make sense. Does it mean something along the lines of "to gift FOR Christmas"?

• By the way, you want this one I think: jisho.org/search/%E9%A2%A8%20%E3%81%B5%E3%81%86 – knowledge_is_power Dec 24 '17 at 23:21
    I interpreted the question as: "In what way (i.e. how) do you celebrate Christmas?" That may help. – binom Dec 24 '17 at 23:24
    祝う is "celebrate". I'm not sure where you got the translation you were going for there. – Leebo Dec 24 '17 at 23:29
    ^ Leebo,祝う is "celebrate". I'm not sure where... <-- I think the confusion occurred because they used 「お+祝い+する」. They didn't use the verb 「祝う」. 「(お)祝い」 is "celebration" (noun form of 祝う), but it can also mean "gift". eg 「お祝いをもらう」「お祝いを贈る」 – Chocolate Dec 25 '17 at 13:23

ドイツでは、クリスマスをどんな風にお祝いしますか。
"In Germany, in what manner do you gift Christmas?"

Your understanding of the [風]{ふう} is correct. I think your confusion comes from the fact that the noun 祝い has two meanings. According to 明鏡国語辞典:

いわい【祝い】〘名詞〙
① 祝うこと。祝賀。「還暦の祝いをする」「お祝い」
② 祝う気持ちを示す言葉や金品。「謹んでお祝いを申し上げます」「お祝いをもらう」

In your example it's used in the sense of #1 ("celebration, act of celebrating/congratulating"), though it seems you interpreted it as #2 ("word or gift to express one's feeling to congratulate/celebrate"). So お祝いする in your sentence (consisting of the polite prefix 「お」+ the noun 「祝い」+ verb 「する」, literally "do celebration") means "celebrate" (≂ 祝う), hence the translation given by other posters: "How (In what way) do you celebrate Christmas in Germany?"

The correct use of 風 for this particular sentence would be here.

In this sense, it refers to "way". In your sentence, I would translate it as,

ドイツでは、クリスマスをどんな風にお祝いしますか。

How (In what way) does one celebrate Christmas in Germany?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.