When I watched Death Note, ep.1 with Japanese subtitle, I came across this sentence:

「同居している25歳の女性に暴行を加え殺害したとして, 35歳の男、兔富士直樹容疑者が 殺人の疑いで逮捕されました」

In the above sentence, does として means "to assume that", "to consider ~" or "to view ~ as ~" ? But with these definitions, the sentence's meaning is rather weird.

So please explain the using of として in this case, and Is it necessary to have the comma「、」 after として ?

Thank !

Jisho has 'supposing that' as one of the definitions for とする. It appears to be linked with 逮捕されました. It is analogous to the following sentence from Tangorin (http://tangorin.com/examples/%E3%81%A8%E3%81%97%E3%81%A6%20%E9%80%AE%E6%8D%95).

その男性はスパイとして逮捕された。 The man was arrested as a spy.

The comma seems necessary because the sentence is broken up with another phrase that intervenes before 逮捕.

A 35-year-old male, 兔富士直, was arrested on suspicion of assualting and murdering a 25-year-old female whom he cohabited with.

(Not good with reading names).

| improve this answer | |
  • Thank you for your answer, I think we should remember that として, in this case, has the meaning close to "for". – Le Chi Hiep Dec 21 '17 at 13:47

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.