I have a question about how to translate sentences like "the person from the eight", in the sense of "the person who lives in the house number 8". Is a counter preferred/needed in this situation? If it is, is the best counter 号? Is it droppable, so that we can safely say 八の人?

What motivated my question is the name of a Mexican TV show, which in English means "the boy from the 8". In the Japanese Wikipedia it is translated as 『8のチャボ』. However, this title sounds a bit unnatural to me (it seems like a counter is missing, but maybe the name translation is just ok because of the informal nature of the show).

Probably the number 8 is more important key than the specific location of where チャボ lives in the drama series. As the answers in the link, it is omittable. I don't know what's like "house number" is though, if it was room in the apartment, 8号室 is specific. If it was the number of the apartment building itself, 8号棟 is common. I think the answerers in the link explained in detail.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.