What does the following sentence mean?

カラオケと遊ぶのが大好きです

I know that it has to do with karaoke but whether it is playing karaoke or karaoke and playing is the problem which I don't know.

「カラオケと遊{あそ}ぶのが大好{だいす}きです。」

would be a very poorly-written sentence if used in a composition.

In informal speech, however, some people do wind up forming sentences like that. In that sense, it is real-life Japanese.

It would mean:

"I love karaoke and playing (in general)."

In other words, the speaker is listing two things that s/he likes doing. One is specific (karaoke) and the other, non-specific (playing).

We do not say in the first place:

「カラオケ遊ぶ」

to refer to an action regarding karaoke. We would instead say:

「カラオケをする」、「カラオケに行{い}く」、「カラオケを歌{うた}う」, etc.

Some might say:

「カラオケ遊ぶ」, but not really 「カラオケ遊ぶ」.

|improve this answer|||||
  • Can it not also be construed as "like the thing of playing karaoke"?. In other words,"I like Karaoke"? What say you sensei? – Quistis Trepe Dec 20 '17 at 2:50
  • @QuistisTrepe If you are saying I like Karaoke, you simply say カラオケが好きだ/です. If you are saying I like the thing of playing karaoke you have a problem since you don't technically play karaoke, you can play by means of karaoke (カラオケで遊ぶ). You can sing karaoke (カラオケを歌う). I would probably lean towards カラオケを歌うことが好きだ/です。 – ajsmart Dec 20 '17 at 14:05

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.