what does wankyuu mean? the kanji are 椀久 have tried many Japanese dictionaries but have come up empty also are there any resources that are better than jisho and the like for looking up Japanese? thanks in advance

closed as off-topic by l'électeur, istrasci, macraf, virmaior, Earthliŋ Dec 16 '17 at 7:25

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave these specific reasons:

• "Questions seeking resources or advice about learning Japanese are off-topic here, but you may find our list of resources for learning Japanese helpful." – macraf, Earthliŋ
  • "Questions asking for translations, transcriptions or proofreading are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not to provide a bulk translation service nor to proofread your translations or transcriptions. See: We don't do translations." – l'électeur, istrasci, virmaior
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

kotobank.jp/word/%E6%A4%80%E4%B9%85-665997 Any free online monolingual dictionary will be far better than jisho. – l'électeur Dec 14 '17 at 23:07
  • thanks for the link but it seems like the translations are in japanese – luke Dec 14 '17 at 23:20
  • I still don't understand – luke Dec 14 '17 at 23:37
    Maybe you could quote the text here so that the context is clearer. That way it would be possible to see whether an answer fits with the instance of the word you want to clarify. – Robert Dec 16 '17 at 1:47
    「鴈治郎が[新富座]{しんとみざ}で椀久を出した 」-- I think you should be asking the meaning of 出す... The 出す here doesn't mean "get ~~ out". – Chocolate Dec 16 '17 at 7:17

Checking https://kotobank.jp/word/%E6%A4%80%E4%B9%85-665997, I found the following (my attempt at translation of that page).

Full name is 椀屋久右衛門 (wanya kyuuemon). A wealthy merchant from Midomae in Osaka. Had a love affair with the prostitute Matsuyama from Shinmachi. Ended up under house arrest? (座敷牢) after a life of wild excess. Died insane in the 5th year of the Enpou era (1677). Features in kabuki plays, shamisen recitations and musical performances.

Feel free to correct me.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.