I have this sentence:

これはアヤメに話を聞く重大なルールだ。

I understand this as:

this is a serious rule to follow to chat with Ayame. (Correct me if it's inaccurate)

話を聞く look to me like they're connected but i can't find anything about it anywhere.

Context: A person speakers to an interviewer about their boss. Olivia, Ayame is the boss of the person who says all this to an interviewer who wants to interview her.

• 話を聞く is “to listen to a story.” Does that help? – mamster Dec 14 '17 at 17:58
    Can you add any context to the question? – snailcar Dec 15 '17 at 6:25

I think 'chat' is a little inappropriate.

The Japanese phrase ‘話を聞く’ refers to listening to someone's story (sometimes problem), so it is more important than a chat. What theme is important depends on one’s subjective thoughts.

For example,

「どうしたの?何か嫌なことでもあった?話聞くよ?」 the situation: A girl looked sad and her friend tried to console her with listening what happened to her.

「ちょっとお話があるのですが」
the situation: Since he wanted to discuss the plan he had been in charge of, an office worker asked for his boss’s time.

これはアヤメに話を聞く重大なルールだ。

Since I don’t know the situation I can't explain it perfectly. But my expectation is that when the speaker ask Ayame some information, he or she has to follow the rule, like giving her equivalent information.

I thought of アヤメ話を聞く as asking her something, but I don’t know whether it is proper. If you give me the situation, I think I can tell you more correctly. :)

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.