This question already has an answer here:

I asked my teacher why is "が”はじまる instead of ”は”はじまる. She said "が” is always put before はじまる. But she said there are circumstances that ”は” is put before はじまる too. She said there are rules meanwhile couldn't clarify. Anyone can explain this? Many thanks!

marked as duplicate by istrasci, macraf, l'électeur, broccoli forest, Earthliŋ Dec 16 '17 at 7:24

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

が is used to report news or information recently discovered ("neutral description ga"). So ~が始まる is used when you want to tell a certain event will start now.

は is used to describe a general fact. ~は始まる is used to describe a fact that's related to the beginning of something. The described "fact" has nothing to do with what's happening in front of you.

• セサミストリート始まります。 Sesami Street starts (now).
  • セサミストリート日曜日の朝9時に始まります。 Sesami Street starts at 9:00 Sunday morning.
  • × セサミストリートは始まります。 (Makes no sense; sounds like "× Sesami Street is a thing that starts.")

See: Can someone explain me the use of は and が in this sentence?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.