I came across the following passage in a mystery manga. The main character is explaining that the as of yet unknown criminal intentionally made the listener think that Kimisawa was the criminal (though she is not).

おそらく奴は
お前が君沢さんを
犯人だと思い込むのを
計算に入れて

その「香水」の匂いを
かがせたんだ!

"It's likely that that guy (奴) incorporated it into his plans that you'd be under the impression that the criminal was Kimisawa. He made you smell that perfume on purpose!"

Unless I am mistaken, it seems to me that the subject/complement of だ is denoted with を which I thought was unacceptable. Could someone please explain when and if this is allowable?

EDIT: I neglected to mention (didn't notice actually) which を...だ I am uncertain about. I am interested in the お前が君沢さんを犯人だと思い込む part rather than the その「香水」の匂いをかがせたんだ part.

• 「君沢さん犯人と思い込む」のところですか、それとも「香水の匂いかがせたん 」のところですか? -- ああ、わかりました、「君沢さん犯人だ(と思い込む)」って意味のことを「君沢さん犯人だ(と思い込む)」って言えるのか、ってことですね。 – Chocolate Dec 14 '17 at 3:17
  • @Chocolate そうですよ。私の質問に説明を追加しました。ありがとう。 – G-Cam Dec 14 '17 at 4:37

AをBだ in isolation makes little sense (although there are exceptions). This ~を~だと is a common pattern which appears along with various verbs for assuming, regarding, etc.

• AをBだと見なす to regard A as B
  • AをBだと考える to consider A B
  • AをBだと仮定する to assume A is B
  • AをBだとする to suppose A as B
  • AをBだと思う to think of A as B
  • AをBだと勘違いする to mistake A as B
  • AをBだと思い込む to make a wrong assumption that A is B
  • AをBだと定義する to define A as B
  • AをBだと受け取る to take A as B
  • AをBだと解釈する to interpret A as B

So Bだと is like as B, and these verbs can take both を and だと at the same time. Sometimes だ is omitted (particularly in casual conversations). 君沢さんを犯人と思い込む (without だ) and 君沢さんが犯人だと思い込む are equally correct.

I don't know if it's allowable per say, but it's clear that お前が君沢さんを犯人だ is meant to be a thought in it's own right, which is what (that guy) took into consideration.

I would guess what it's supposed to mean is "that (that guy) assumed you would assume Kimazawa is the criminal, and so he had you? smell that perfume."

As for corectness, I was able to find one example more on Linguee that uses を犯人だ

ワシントン弁護士は周到にもハシモトが一切現場に行ってないという警察側の証人まで用意して、もし証拠もなく私 を 犯人 だ 、 と証言したらすぐ彼らを名誉毀損で訴える準備をしていた。

And it kinda makes sense. The subject is attributing object being some noun.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.