In America, parents can address their son as son. For example, "Son, could you open the window for me?" Do Japanese parents address their son as 息子?Thanks.

In my experience, parents say this in the movies or TV as a quick means of establishing relationships. Or in books due to bad writing. In real life, I don't think this would be very common in modern usage. (Or perhaps it's a regional thing?) – mattdm Dec 9 '17 at 15:28
  • What you say may be possible as I am not a native English speaker myself. However, I have seen and heard myself a father addressing his son son in real life a few years ago in America. That's why I ask. Agreed, it isn't as common as using his first name. – Stack0verflow Dec 10 '17 at 16:56

No, we basically never do that in Japanese culture.

We would use the actual name or nickname of the son nearly 100% of the time.

The only time that I could think of some people addressing their sons as 「息子{むすこ}」 would be in very serious/important letters or poems. In such cases, it would generally be 「息子」 instead of just 「息子」.

Even on those occasions, however, most parents would just use the actual name.

• Thanks. That's very interesting. I have always been wondering about this but have not been able find the answer. – Stack0verflow Dec 9 '17 at 2:41

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.