For example, 眠くてたまらない、僕は今寝行きます。is this acceptable in Japanese?

• Why not 「とても疲れたので寝る」 ? 寝行く seems to make little sense and appears as a literal translation of "go to sleep." – binom Dec 8 '17 at 2:51
  • Thanks. Yes, that's my translation after studying some Japanese word construction patterns. So, Japanese people will never say 寝行く? – Stack0verflow Dec 8 '17 at 3:01
  • I am not a native, so take the following with a grain of salt: No. It makes little to no sense to sleep and go somewhere with the really close frames of time implied by using masu-stem as a continuative form. Besides this technical aspect, I have never seen 寝行く in any writing, and my IME does not even recognize ねいく as anything more than gibberish. – binom Dec 8 '17 at 3:14

As others told you 寝に行きます is the correct structure (the normal masu for the verb, without “masu”, plus に and any verb of motion like 行く 来る 帰る 戻る etc) It’s commonly used in Japan, I’ve listened to it and I use it commonly.

「寝行{ねい}く」 makes no sense.

「寝{ね}に行{い}く」, however, makes perfect sense and it means "to go to bed".

Cool. Does 寝に行く sound natural to Japanese? Thanks. – Stack0verflow Dec 8 '17 at 3:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.