Recently I've made two similar mistakes. 1 and 2 show my original sentences while 3 and 4 are the sentences with my 先生's revisions added. I don't really understand why the の needs to be added after a noun (I haven't been able to find similar examples online). Can someone explain?

Original:

1. 特に、児童福祉と関連の活動をしたり、多発性硬化症について研究ためにも寄付もします。
  2. 彼に対して第一印象はどうでしたか?

Revised:

1. 特に、児童福祉と関連の活動をしたり、多発性硬化症について研究ためにも寄付もします。

2. 彼に対して第一印象はどうでしたか?

The reason is very simple. It is because the phrase before the 「の」 modifies a noun in each of the two sentences. Only 「の」 can connect a modifier to a noun.

「多発性硬化症について研究」

is correct because 「研究」 is a noun. Without a 「の」, the following word must be a verb as in:

「多発性硬化症について研究する/した/している, etc.」

BTW, your teacher overlooked two more mistakes.

1) You need to use another 「の」 right after the 「研究」 as well. It is incorrect to say 「研究ためにも」.

2) You should not use a 「も」 on both sides of the 「寄付」. Drop the first one.

To sum up, here is what is correct:

Correct: 「多発性硬化症について研究ために寄付もします」

Correct: 「多発性硬化症について研究するために寄付もします」

A switch from 「研究」(noun) to 「研究する」(verb) causes the grammatical changes above.

Moving on to your second sentence..

「第一印象」is, of course, a noun; therefore, you need to say 「彼に対して第一印象」.

Like I showed with the frst sentence, you could do away with the 「の」 if you correctly changed the grammar of the sentence around. You can say:

「彼に対して、どんな第一印象を持ちましたか。」

Here, 「彼に対して」 modifies 「持ちました」, which once again is a verb.

The の is your good old noun modifier. Lets examine the following 2 example sentences, one using 「について」and one using 「についての」:

1.車についてマニュアルを参照{さんしょう}した   2.車についてのマニュアルを参照{さんしょう}した

The first sentence translates to something like: "I consulted the manual about the car". As in, I went and looked up information in the manual looking for information about something to do with cars.

The second sentence translates to something like: "I consulted the car manual". As in, it is a manual concerning cars.

If you are looking for more example sentences jisho has a cool function that allows you to search for sentences containing a specific word.

• 参照しった -- 「参照した」って書こうとなさったんでは? – Chocolate Dec 8 '17 at 13:21
  • It seems i made a conjugation mistake, should indeed have been 「参照した」. I was trying to come up with some example that would work either way to show the difference, and though consulting some medium about something would work. Was i wrong? – Arne Aarts Dec 8 '17 at 14:01

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.