One of my native friends saw I had one of my folders named "私の物" and told me it sounded too weird. I also showed that my phone has a group of apps named like that and suggested I use something like その他 instead. Even only 物 alone bothered them and told me Japanese don't use abstract words. (For folders? I'm guessing labeling in general?)

I was told to be more specific but I told them I didn't have time yet or just plain don't want to organize them so I just put them under "stuff" indefinitely.

It's my own property so I want to name it what I want. I won't use it if it's incorrect but it is correct, right?.

Although my main concern that I don't want to change the unique way I think just because a native Japanese would never name it that. I do things that Japanese would never do or say like being too honest or direct about something (which my friend likes a lot).

TL;DR: Does labeling/naming something 私の物 sound awkward? I don't care if it sounds "not native" or I think the word I'm looking for is unusual.

But if it sounds like I'm just being an awkward foreigner and using awkward, clumsy words then I think I will change it in that case.

• To clarify, Are we referring to folders in computer/smart phones (not the physical existence)? Also, you put just about anything (that you haven't classified properly) into that folder, am I reading right? – Yosh Dec 6 '17 at 8:28
    @Yosh Both physical and virtual folders. Yes, I just put anything that's not classified yet into that folder – Tek Dec 6 '17 at 8:46

Of course you can use whatever name you want, but I would say 私の物 is not really "native". Personally, I have not seen a directory named things by English speakers, either. Have you? I feel most people like something a little bit more specific, like docs, files. In addition, 私の has never been a natural naming convention in Japan. My Document on Windows is マイドキュメント in the Japanese version, and I think that was a reasonable choice.

If people need an unspecific directory name, they usually use ファイル, ファイル置場, 書類, etc., without adding 私の. (Of course I'm not saying this is a good naming convention.) If you share a computer with your family member, something like 太郎, 太郎の, 太郎のファイル or 太郎の物 would be accepted.

If you want an explicit etc or misc folder, what I've seen (or used) are:

• いろいろ
  • その他
  • 未整理
  • 仮置き場
  • I like to have fun with my naming. Here's a random example I found: goo.gl/zLDkSB I did actually have it in English before as "My stuff". – Tek Dec 6 '17 at 9:42
  • It's funny, when I saw 私の物 I immediately thought "I bet the folder is named 'My stuff' in English". It's one of those times where the name looks obviously translated… – snailboat Dec 6 '17 at 12:30
  • I feel "my stuff" would be okay in English, but 私の物 somehow feels closer to "things" to me... I don't know why. – naruto Dec 6 '17 at 14:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.