I've come across these words many times over the years, but I realized that I don't have a proper conceptualization of the concrete difference between them. Can I ask for some sample sentences which highlight the nuances in these words?

What confuses you is, perhaps, English. Let's try a dictionary:

Abbreviation

1 : a shortened form of a written word or phrase used in place of the whole word or phrase
2 : the act or result of abbreviating something : abridgment

The Japanese word that corresponds to definition 1 is 略語. Among that, shortened forms of names (usually proper nouns) are especially called 略称. What 省略 rightly corresponds to is definition 2 of abbreviation.

• Ok that makes sense. So 略称 is a shortening of one word or phrase. And 省略 is a shortening of a longer passage of text. Is that accurate? – kandyman Dec 8 '17 at 18:25
  • @kandyman No it's more like "shortening" and "the shortened", one stands for the action and the other, product. – broccoli forest Dec 13 '17 at 9:59
  • Sorry but I don't understand your comment about "shortening" and "the shortened". – kandyman Dec 13 '17 at 12:08
  • @kandyman Sorry for my poor & confusing English usage... What I meant was that, if I understand correctly, Definition 1 stands for a word, that's a shortened form of another word or phrase, while Definition 2 stands for an act, that makes a long expression into a shorter one. And 略称 could only be the counterpart of Def 1, while 省略 only Def 2. – broccoli forest Dec 16 '17 at 4:30

I can teach you what the difference between 略称 and 省略.
略称 means that you can make a short-cut ONLY for one name/group. So, for example, UN in Japanese is 国際連合, but you can do 略称 as 国連.
On the other hand, 省略 is used when you skip/omit something, for example, you can say that 長さの単位を省略する。, which means that you omit the unit of length.

• Wait, doesn't 省略 also mean a shortening (abbreviation)? – kandyman Dec 5 '17 at 23:40
  • 省略 includes the meaning(abbreviation) as well. So, just 略称 is a specific word to express only an abbreviation. You can't use 略称 in this way, 長さの単位を略称する. – Kdbiqb Dec 5 '17 at 23:47
  • So can I say - 「国連」は「国際連合」の省略です - ? Is that natural too? – kandyman Dec 6 '17 at 1:00
  • Yeah, you can say in that way! – Kdbiqb Dec 6 '17 at 1:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.