This form is usually translated as "regardless"; however its meaning seems to be pretty similar to をよそに and to をものともせず. Is their usage different?

Grammatically, ~をよそに, ~をものともせず and ~にも構わず work similarly. However there is a difference in meaning.

• 構う can mean "to worry about", "to look after", etc. Thus ~に構わず tends to be used for something/someone people should normally care about, such as a dying ally and an advice of your friend. も adds the nuance of "even".
  • When you use ~をものともせず, the target is normally a direct obstacle or hardship you should endure, such as a storm, an enemy attack and a torture. It's used to describe the strength or boldness of the subject.
  • 余所【よそ】 means "other (irrelevant) places". ~をよそに means the speaker is not interested in something at all in the first place.
  • Thank you so much, it was really helpful! Sorry if I'm awfully late, but I don't know why, but I missed the notification! – Alex16 Jan 19 '18 at 8:48

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.