Attempting to make some flashcards from the dialogue in Dad of Light on Netflix.

Near the very beginning of Ep1, we have the following:

夏休みにやることもなくフローリングの床に寝そべって足の力でクルクル回るという

English subtitles read:

I had nothing else better to do during summer vacation than lie on the kitchen floor and turn in circles using my legs.

my question is about やることもなく -- I can think of two ways this could be:

"During summer vacation I did nothing. I was lying on the floor, turning in circles using my legs."

--or--

"During summer vaction I did nothing except lie on the floor, turning in circles using my legs."

Can anyone point me toward a resource to understand this usage? I found something close from user Chocolate here.

• 「夏休みにやることもなくフローリングの床に寝そべって足の力でクルクル回るという」 is not a complete sentence. Can you provide the full sentence? 続きがありますよね? – Chocolate Nov 30 '17 at 2:26
  • P.S. I found it. The full sentence is 「あのころの僕はといえば 夏休みにやることもなく フローリングの床に寝そべって 足の力でクルクル回るという 謎の遊びに夢中だった。」, right? fmsubs.com/subtitles/Fainaru-fantaji-XIV-Hikari-no-otousan/… – Chocolate Nov 30 '17 at 9:35
  • @Chocolate , that's right. I might be reaching beyond my level w/ this because I thought I was chopping two sentences in half... woops! – Floydius Nov 30 '17 at 20:21

夏休みにやることもなく...

means "During summer vacation I had nothing to do, and/so..."

「やること」 → "things to do" "something to do"
「やることがない」 → "have nothing do to" (≂ 「ヒマだ」 in your context)

cf:
「話すこと」 → "things to talk about"
「話すことがない」 → "have nothing to talk about"
「書くこと」 → "things to write about"
「書くことがない」 → "have nothing to write about"
「見るもの」 → "things to see"
「見るものがない」 → "there's nothing to see"

The continuative form (連用形) な is used here to connect two clauses, like a conjunction "and" or "so".

As for the も replacing the が, it's used to indicate...

も 🈩〘副助*〙
⓬ さりげなくとりたてて、文意をやわらげる。
「お腹すいたし、食事にするか」「天気いいから、散歩でもしよう」
-- from 明鏡国語辞典 (*明鏡 categorizes 係助詞/binding particle as 副助詞/adverbial particle)

• when you say なく is the continuative form (that's usually て form, right?) what verb is it the continuative form of? – Floydius Nov 30 '17 at 22:17
  • @Floydius The なく is the continuative form of the i-adjective ない. Both なく and なくて can be used to connect clauses. (なく sounds less casual.) For more on this: japanese.stackexchange.com/a/14409/9831 / japanese.stackexchange.com/q/2934/9831 – Chocolate Nov 30 '17 at 22:59
  • that is extremely helpful -- thank you! i had actually looked up conjugation tables for ある but only found なくて there. much appreciated! – Floydius Nov 30 '17 at 23:00

(1) 夏休みにやることもない。そして、フローリングの床に寝そべって
(2) 夏休みにやることもなくフローリングの床に寝そべって
"During summer vacation I did nothing. I was lying on the floor, turning in circles using my legs."

"point me toward a resource"は出来ませんが、質問者が考えた1番目の案は、(2) ではなく、(1) に対するものです。 (2) は (1) と違って、「やることもなく」と連用形で終わっていますので、例えば「やることもなく ~する」のように用言が続く必要があります。

(2) の例では、「~する」に相当する部分は「(床に)寝そべる」です。

従って、(2) の解釈は質問者が提示した2番目の案だけです。

"During summer vaction I did nothing except lie on the floor, turning in circles using my legs."

因みに、質問者が提示した下記の例は、(1) と同じく終止形「ない」で終わっています。

(3) ベルが人を突き飛ばすこともない。-- The bell wouldn't ever push people away, either. / Nor would it ever push people away.

• Once my Japanese is good enough to read all of this fully, I'm certain it will make sense to me! Thank you! – Floydius Nov 30 '17 at 20:24

I think なく is close to "without".
So やることもなく is "without even something I want to do."

I interpret the く as a word expressing a state or a circumstance of someone/something.

for example

彼は朝食を食べることなく家を出て行った

If translating it into English, it would be like

"He left home without having breakfast."

And く is a conjunction. it make us feel a connection to the following clause.
Your two sentences are very good, but you shouldn't punctuate after く. If I translate that sentence into English, it would be like this:

During summer vacation, without even something I want to do I was lying on the floor, turning in circles using my legs.

So I mean, く expresses a state in pallarel rather than a cause and result in order.

I'm so sorry for my bad English.

• Your english is much better than my Japanese. thanks for the explanation! – Floydius Nov 30 '17 at 20:30

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.