How would you go about saying you "stopped wearing" something? I'm trying to say "I stopped wearing uniforms at X high school." and I'm incredibly tripped up by how to put verbs into this sentence.

I know how to say I was wearing something (「...きました。」) and that I wasn't wearing something (「...きませんでした。」), but I cant quite figure out how to say "stopped wearing".

Is 「Xこうこうでユニフォームをきるのをとまりました。」 correct?

Is 「Xこうこうでユニフォームをきるのをとまりました。」 correct?

No, it is not though it was a nice try. Why not?

Mostly because you used 「とまる」, which is an intransitive verb. You can never say 「~~とまる」. (You must say 「~~をとる」 as 「とめる」 is transitive.)

In this context, however, 「やめる」 would be a far more natural verb choice than 「とめる」. You can say:

「Xこうこうではユニフォームをきるのをやめました。」

More naturally, we would use 「制服{せいふく}」 over 「ユニフォーム」, but that has nothing to do with grammar.

Advanced learners would need to know to say:

「X高校{こうこう}では制服を廃止{はいし}しました。」

| improve this answer | |
  • "I stopped wearing uniforms at X high school." と "They stopped wearing uniforms at X high school." とでは日本語訳が異なりませんか? – mackygoo Nov 30 '17 at 0:51
  • The latter is like saying "They got rid of uniforms at X high school." I believe やめる you can only use with single subjects "I, him", as well as "we". It's not right to use it to describe a corporation's actions. – Chronopolis Nov 30 '17 at 17:31
  • using 廃止 sounds wrong to me - doesn't that indicate that the school took a decision to get rid of uniforms (for everyone), ie to abolish the use of uniforms? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the OP seems to be saying that he/she took a personal decision to stop wearing a uniform. – kandyman Nov 30 '17 at 18:05

I stopped wearing uniforms at X high school.

Although the above sentence given by the questioner should have only one meaning, since my understanding of English is insufficient, I understand it as the following two possible meanings.

Apart from the intention of the questioner, I'll try to present natural Japanese for each of these two interpretations.

Interpretation 1:

I am an authoritative person who can change the rules of this high school like the principal. So, I decided to change school rules and abolish the students' uniforms or teachers' uniforms.
私{わたし}はX高校{こうこう}の(生徒{せいと}または教職員{きょうしょくいん}の)制服{せいふく}着用{ちゃくよう}を廃止{はいし}した。

Interpretation 2:

I am a student of X High School. In school rules, you are free to wear uniforms or wear plain clothes or casual clothes at school. I had been wearing uniforms until recently, but I decided to go to school with plain clothes.
私{わたし}はX高校{こうこう}に制服{せいふく}で行{い}くことをやめた。

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.