This question is to confirm that the two verbs (to buy and to have) are homophones.

わたしはねこをかっています。

Could the above sentence be translated to "I have a cat" as well as "I am buying a cat"? Are there other ways to phrase the above sentence that are more specific to "buying" vs "having"?

Be aware that [飼]{か}う isn't 'have' in general, it's specifically 'have as a pet; take care of'. – Sjiveru Nov 28 '17 at 23:29
  • @Sjiveru Ah okay, then would it also be used to refer to children? As in "わたしわむすこさんをかっています" (I have/take care of a son). – funseiki Nov 28 '17 at 23:37
    @funseiki No. You can only 飼う animals. – l'électeur Nov 28 '17 at 23:48

Yes, they are homophones, and this is why kanji is important.

• [買]{か}う → to buy
  • [飼]{か}う → to keep/raise

I guess it could technically be used to say "I'm buying a cat", but no one would ever think that if they heard you say it. If you really wanted to convey the fact that the action you're currently doing is buying a cat, you'd be better off using [購入]{こう・にゅう}している or 買いつつある.

• 今は猫を購入しているところです。
    OR
  • 今は猫を買いつつあります。

Even then, the latter is kind of suspect and could be ambiguous.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.